Monday, March 1, 2010

One person's job is another mother's nightmare

A while back someone told me "you're too smart to be a stay at home mom." It is not the first time I have been told this. I know it is meant to be a compliment, but each time somebody says that to me, it nags at the back of my mind. What is the stigma associated with being a SAHM? I know it's not for everyone but it doesn't make me less of a person. I had a job and since we were finacially able, I made the choice to quit and stay home with my kids instead. They drive me nuts, yes, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I LOVE being here to see every milestone, to spend more than a few hours with them on the weekdays, I LOVE that I am lucky enough to do so. A lot aren't. My mom worked and I turned out just fine, but my situation is different than hers was. Most days, I do more being here than I ever did when I went to an actual workplace. I am a cook, I am a maid, I am an errand runner, a teacher, a comforter, someone expected to set examples, do the laundry, shower the kids with love, grocery shop, follow a routine, basically be everything for everyone. Mothers keep the house running. I don't feel as though I'm wasting any potential. I'm good at what I do. Perhaps I put my plans on hold some to raise Bug and Nut, but it is well worth it. I don't want to be pitied or looked down upon, just as I don't pity or look down upon mothers who do go to work.

*sigh* Okay, I think the rant is over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment