Wednesday, January 27, 2010

There goes the baby's college fund....

Baby R (aka Bug) had his appointment with the pediatric GI on Monday. They confirmed his milk protein intolerance and decided to switch his formula due to "intestinal malabsorption". I have no idea what that means, it was just marked under the diagnosis box on the sheet they sent me home with. I'm guessing that's the fancy medical term for Your Kid Poops A Lot. Either way, the $26 a can Nutramigen he was on before seems downright cheap compared to the Nutramigen AA they switched him to. That stuff averages about $50 a can. And not a can that will go a long ways either - roughly about 2.5-3 days. I feel like crying. How does it cost more for a 16lb infant to eat in a week than it does for the rest of the family members' grocery bill for almost the entire month??? I just don't know what to do with the little guy. He is downing formula like crazy because he's hungry, but the doctor wants me to hold off on giving him any solids until they can figure out exactly what the deal is. It makes me sad. He grabs for our food all the time and instead I have to tell him no and offer up some more gag-inducing smelly formula. Patience. If the little guy can have it, so can I......

No comments:

Post a Comment